Old October 21st 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Herb Ludwig

Default New Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasy - A Perspective on Lenses

"Mike Fields" spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet wrote
Well, maybe not quite that simple -- a) the refs get a bit
upset if I am out in the middle of the soccer field during
the game to "get the right framing" and b) many times,
I want a different perspective between the foreground
subject and the background (mountains etc) - it takes
a different focal length to get the perspective right too
(yes, you still need to use your legs to get it right though)

Yes, of course, there are a number of situations where the legs alone won't
do it.
Indoors, for instance, where a nasty wall may soon crowd one's effort to
step back-
Thanks for pointing out the importance of the foreground / background
perspective.
I use my Canon DSLR with 3 lenses (17-40 f4 Zoom, a 50 f1.4 Prime and a
70-200 f4 Zoom) and find that I take about 50% of my pictures with the 17-40
f4 lens, because I like its perspective on a 1.6 crop camera.
Cheers,
Hank