Old July 16th 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Camera Security

On 2013.07.06 11:05 , J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2013.07.03 22:28 , J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2013.07.03 20:38 , J. Clarke wrote:

The trouble with the metal straps is that things like scooter grabs can
be turned from loss of property into serious injury. With luck it will
be injury of the grabber who gets pulled off the scooter and into the
path of an oncoming lorry. Personally my luck runs more in the
direction of me being pulled into the path of the lorry.

The person on the scooter is in a much more unstable position than a
person walking or standing. OTOH the crafty buggers probably feel the
resistance and abandon within a shake of a lamb's tail.

The scooter's 2 up and gyrostabilized--you've got anywhere from 400-1000
pounds of mass going for you depending on the value of "scooter".

In Asia the people doing the grabbing generally mass about 50 - 60 Kg.

That's the passenger. The "driver" is another 50-60kg.

The scooter can keep on going but he's not going with it. And as I
said, as soon as the strap doesn't cut and there is resistance he's just
going to let that one go.

Who said anything about "cut"?

Oh, so you know nothing about how these guys work. I've seen it done
and it's slow down, bump, cut, grab and run (or ride).

If you have a steel cable strap it's:
slow down, bump, cut - Ooops - run (or ride).

(A pound is not "mass").

Now you are being pedantic, and ignorant as well. A pound mass is
approximately 1/32 of a slug.

You lost when you mixed pounds and mass. A slug is mass. A pound is
force. There is no mixing them.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,