Old November 13th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default possible supplier of chemicals in India

On 11/13/2009 5:33 AM sreenath spake thus:

On Nov 12, 12:18 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/11/2009 8:24 AM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/10/2009 6:12 AM spake thus:

I received this email today, presumably because they have been
searching websites that mention photo chemicals.

[snip]

SHAKTI CHEMICALS
(An ISO 9001:2000 certified company)

Visit us on www.shaktichemicals.com

Company looks legit enough. I seriously doubt, however, that you're
going to be able to buy small, convenient packages of photo chemicals
from them. They're an industrial supply operation. (I wonder what the
smallest amount is that they would sell: 55-gallon barrels? and if
perhaps a bunch of folks could band together to make up an order.)

Also, how would you manage the paperwork to get it through customs?

Good question. Presumably someone (the importer) would need to have the
proper licenses and such. Lotsa paperwork, but it's probably possible.
(I have worked with people trying to get stuff through customs, and it
can be a bitch. You definitely need a broker or agent, and a good one at
that.)

I live in India.
Even if the chemicals would be cheaper, what about shipping charges?
I wanted to buy Phenidone and CD-4, which are _not_ available anywhere
in retail in India, and had to buy 1 KG of each.

And minimum shipment size for Ammonium thiosulfate was 25 KG.

Well, as I said, it *might* make sense to buy chemicals in bulk if
several people set up some kind of buying club to pool their needs, but
it would require a lot of coordination to make it happen.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet