Old August 3rd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nervous Nick

Default VR working?

On Aug 3, 12:14 pm, Fredrik Sandström wrote:
Hmm, this is frustrating... Is there a simple test to verify whether
the VR on my Nikkor 55-200 is working or not? I simply can't see any
difference. When "on" it sometimes makes a little noise that is not
otherwise present, but I can't notice any effect on the photos. I zoom
to 200mm, and shoot a handheld burst at 1/30s and 1/60s with VR on;
some turn out blurry, some turn out fine. I turn the VR off and do the
same, and it's the same thing: some are sharp, some are not...

Lock the camera down reeeel goood to a tripod and do a series of shots
(of a subject with fine and contrasty detail), at different shutter
speeds. These will be in focus, barring factors other than camera
shake. Then replicate the series of shots, but with the camera hand-
held, from the exact same position. Compare. I would think you
should be able to change the lighting level so that you can use the
same aperture for each shot, but I dunno how much a difference
diffraction would make..

HTH.

--
YOP...