Old December 25th 03, 04:06 AM
zeitgeist

Default Equipment/Camera Advice for Taking Photo's from Top View

Hello I have big size area rugs (5x7 to 9x12 feet etc). I want to take
top view photo's of them. Please suggest equipment & cameras:

A tripod etc that I can have a digital camera hoisted on in the top
view position. And be able to view/focus to take photo remotely from
below.

Is this a one time thing, or are you a dealer and need to shoot a dozen or
more a day/week?

for a one time thing, just get up on a ladder I'd actually do it at an
angle, so one corner is closer, it would be more compositional and look
more, ? active? If you are a stickler for proportion you could correct any
perspective or keystoning in photoshop.

If this is a periodic thing, get one of those painters ladders that have
bends in the middle so it stretches out like a scaffold. I don't know if
they make them 12 feet in length, you might want to get two ladders and a
scaffold, this is more than just a board, its has a metal frame to give
serious stiffness.

If you do this daily, run a business as a rug dealer/wholesaler, see if you
can go the crawl space, cut a hold in the ceiling and shoot straight down.
If there is no crawlspace or someone's floor up there, nail a board to the
ceiling, mount a tripod head and hang a camera, there are many cameras with
remote shutter triggering. mark lines on the floor so you can lay a carpet
out square and you won't have to worry about centering, or focus after the
first time.