Old January 8th 19, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Finally got to the point where no new camera holds my interest(waiting for specific offering)

On 1/8/2019 2:18 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 8, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2019-01-07 16:19, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 10:13:09 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-04 18:58, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 16:16:05 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-02 04:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 07:48:13 +0000, wrote:

On 02/01/2019 01:38, nospam wrote:
In , Eric
Stevens
wrote:

You are obviously wedded to 1 stop per bit. Why is that?

math.

Why for example can you not have 2 stops per bit, or pi stops
per bit?
As long as you scale the entire brightness range with the
available 14
stops.

because it doesn't work that way.

think about what a stop means.

FWIW, I don't follow the linearity - in fact I've often wondered why
aperture, ISO and shutter speed aren't infinitely variable,
especially
with digital. This article takes me closer to understanding:

https://expertphotography.com/unders...s-in-photograp
hy-exposure/

The author of that article is using 'stop' when he should be using
'exposure value'. But lets not get into that in this thread. It's
confused enough already. :-)

There is no difference at all between an EV and a stop of any of the
three independent variables of ISO, exposure period and aperture.

It may be hair-splitting but none of my lenses are calibrated in EVs.

They most definitely are, and probably 1/2 or 1/3 steps of EV as well,
or possibly very fine steps in speed priority or auto modes.

I bow to your superior knowledge of my equipment.

Do your lenses have stops?

I wish this NG had stops.

If you have a Usenet client with the appropriate tools, any NG, thread, or
poster can be cleaned up with judicious ignoring, flagging, deleting,
filtering, and kill filing.

That pun went right over your head. ;-)

--
PeterN