Old November 10th 17, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Ripe Apples

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I could swap
drives in it in a fraction of the time it took me to do the same task
in the Dell which followed it.

if all you do is open it and swap drives, then that's the computer to
get.

Two thumbscrews to get the side panel off. Unplug the drive. Flip the
lock open on the drive mount and slide out the drive. Slide in the new
drive, flip the lock closed, plug in the drive, refit the cover and
screws. An easy 10 minutes from power off to power on.

the powermac g3, g4, g5 and mac pro had a pull-lever to open or remove
the side.

for the powermac g3/g4, the side flipped down without needing to shut
off the computer, which was useful for designing and testing pci cards.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/2ucGgBJmyDkABGQ4.huge
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/Nm4mRELLtcYI4YYI.huge

the powermac g4 cube had a pop-out handle:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/FScb4AU52CGNDjhq.huge
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/BPGoOxpVpqOqwmjl.huge

more recent macs are not as easy to open and sell in vastly higher
quantities.

users are not interested in being able to open the computer. they want
to get actual work done.

meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not open up
their computer and swap parts all day long.

I used to do that when I got bored. To add to the excitement I never
knew which drive did what and the behaviour on startup was quite a fun
lottery.

whatever excites you.