Old October 30th 12, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:31:56 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-10-29 20:00:16 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

This is a problem which touches on digital photograpy and I'm raising
it in the hope that one of the more knowledgeable people here knows
the answer.

Just over two months ago I bought an iPad for the joint use of me and
my wife. I had about two weeks of battle with setting up email
accounts (the damned thing kept changing settings on me) before my
wife set off with it for six weeks overseas. The only thing I managed
to do with photographs was synchronise the iPad with one of the image
directories in my computer.

My wife returned with a swag of photographs copied into the iPad which
she had taken with her camera. The originals remain in her camera. She
had also copied several smaller swags into the iPad which she had
copied from other peoples' cameras. To make matters more complicated
she had edited a considerable number of images in the iPad and wanted
to access the final result for printing

I've now found out how to copy the photographs out of the iPad by
backing up to my computer. What I haven't yet found is an easy way to
delete +1800 images from the "All Imports" folder of the iPad. There
doesn't even seem to be an easy way to select a large number of images
at a time.

Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem and
there are a number of recommended methods on the Internet. A problem
which has emerged is that while my wife was away she accepted the
invitation to upgrade to iOS6 which appears to be slightly different
in it's user interface from the previous versions. Tricks which are
claimed in various forums to make things easier don't seem to exist in
my version of the iPad.

Its not that I'm particularly worried by having to delete +1800 images
one at a time. Its what will happen next that worries me. What happens
when another 5000 images are added? ... then another 3000. Is it
really Apple's intention that the machine fills up until it bursts?

What do I do?

I have found one of the best ways to transfer images from iPad/iPhone
to computer is to use the Photo Transfer App.
http://www.phototransferapp.com/

In the iPad all image files are stored in the "Camera Roll" and can be
added to different albums from the "Camera Roll".

To erase any images from the "Camera Roll" first open "Photos" which
should be on the bottom of the App screen.
Now you should see the available "Albums". If you haven't created any
you will have at least one, the "Camera Roll". In the upper right
corner you should see the "Action" button, a curved arrow pointing to
the right, in a rectangle, touch that.

Now in the top center you will see "Select Photos" do this by touching
any of the thumbnails to produce a blue check mark on the thumbnail. On
the top left you will see three options "Share", "Copy", and in red
"Delete".

Select a group of photos and touch the red "Delete" button. This will
open a dialog. If the image also appears in a secondary album to the
"Camera Roll" (I have 24 different albums on my iPad) you will be
advised; "This photo is used in an album. Do you want to delete it
everywhere". Below this message you will see a fat red button which
will either state "Delete" or "Delete Everywhere". touch that button,
and poof! the offending image file(s) are deleted.

I presently have 'Camera Roll' containing three images, 'Last Import'
containing fourteen images and 'All Imports' containing some 1800
images.

What I relly want to do is delete the 1800 images, but I don't want to
do it one at a time. None of the three albums has the action button.
If I touch 'Edit' I do get a red 'Delete' but that requires I select
each image individually. If I select say 5 images and then hit
'Delete' the iPad will ask me 'Delete Everywhere?'. If I say 'Yes' it
will delete only the 5 I have selected. 1795 to go :-(

Eric Stevens