Old March 13th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Question on depth of field

writes:

I have identified 4 things to increase DOF...

1 smaller aperture (higher f/ #)

2 smaller focal length (a 60mm gives more DOF than a 105mm)

3 greater camera to subject distance

4 print smaller or view smaller size

Before I continue is this correct?

If so, than maybe moving back and getting a smaller image on sensor could be
offset by using a high pixel count camera (24 or 36mp) and then cropping out an
equivalent picture of say 8mp...

In other words, instead of filling the screen with a butterfly, make it less
than half or quarter the frame and crop it.

Am I missing anything? (assuming I'm happy with an 8mp photo.) Would cropping
it up in size change the DOF? (I think it would but I'm wondering if I can win
here! With my luck it'll even out.)

Yes; filling the partial frame and cropping it later amounts to greater
enlargement, so it counts under your #4.

--
David Dyer-Bennet,
; http://dd-b.net/