Old October 5th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Default Plastic proves itself as CRAP again

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Oct 3, 6:22 pm, clw wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Just proves (again) that Nikon are capable of making stupid decisions
about "value" and using plastic in the wrong places.
Gee, one would think from some of the posts in this thread that they
thought they were buying a hand to hand combat weapon from Nikon.
Except perhaps for a steel ball, there is almost nothing on earth that
cannot be broken by mis-handling.
True. But to expect to use a camera for say 2 years without dropping
it once is probably naive and unrealistic.

I've used cameras for 50 years and I can't remember dropping one once.

I've yet to drop a camera or lens. Maybe I shouldn't say that, the Gods
of such things may take revenge.

I've never exactly dropped an SLR, but I did have one come off the pillion
of my motorcycle once and bounce end over end along the highway for some
distance -- I was doing about 65 mph at the time. I thought I had it well
secured, but obviously didn't. Camera still worked fine except for the film
counter which became sort of erratic. That was a screw-mount Petri, my very
first SLR, about 1963.

In recent years though I have had a couple of ultracompact cameras slip out
of my fingers. I am a moderately clumsy person.