Old July 6th 11, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Nikon, Canon at a disadvantage for mirrorless

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:34:31 -0500, Rich wrote:
: Didn't think of this, but someone on Dpreview did. Panasonic can't make
: lenses as compact as Olympus, if those lenses contain I.S. electronics
: and parts. Nikon and Canon, who use this exclusively in their DSLRs.
: I wonder if they'll bend their rules (lens I.S. is a money-maker) and
: shift to the bodies when they release mirrorless?

Nikon used to have their IS in the body, and they switched. Doesn't it seem
unlikely that they'd switch back?

If your argument is that Nikon switched so that they could build more
expensive lenses, that strikes me as far-fetched. It would be giving up a
competitive advantage they might have had vs. Canon.

Bob