Old November 6th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

Default Point & shoots, no improvement as long as sensors stay SMALL

"The Spider" wrote in message ...

As far as image quality and noise go I think your right. They aren't going to be able to keep cramming more resolution on the
current tiny sensors. However, what we might see is improvements to the other parts of the camera. Higher quality lenses, better
metering, better and faster focusing and things like that. We might see some of the non-sensor technologies used in dSLR's show up
on point and shoots.

This is until they come up with a new sensor technology that will allow them to increase the resolution on small sensors.

Personally, I think they just need to forget about making things small, smaller, smallest and start putting dSLR sized sensors and
build point and shoot cameras around them even with them being bigger. There will always be the tiny crappy point and shoots for
those that care more about camera size than picture quality, but I think there is a large market for those that want dSLR image
quality without the dSLR (meaning interchangable lenses). I would love a Panasonic FZ30 with a dSLR sensor even if the camera
doubled in size to do it. I hate interchangable lenses and would drop my Pentax K10D in a heart beat for such a camera.

The Spider

I think a P&S is a P&S, hence I feel it's OK to use a smaller sensor. But as they are
I do think the sensors are too small. I use the Fujifilm s6000fd (as the world knows
by now) in which the sensor is a measly 1/1.7... good grief. TG it is only 6.3 MPs
and does produce great quality images, and genuine low noise at high ISO settings.

However I would be much happier if the sensor were at least 4/3 in size, with larger
pixels which accept more color (and the same 6.3 MPs), famous and desireable in
older D-SLRs from canon and Nikon.

The 4/3 chip is a size that is midway between P&S sizes and APS-C sizes which can
be seen on dpreview.com, it's the best idea. But if the camera is a D-SLR, the sizes
should be APS-C and up. Sigma will be dawning a new P&S with an APS-C Foveon
chip sometime soon, but it will have a single focal length lens which equates 28mm.

--
Giant_Alex
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/