Old August 12th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bob[_5_]

Default Hard to break into National Geographic's staff.

sorry what is NG? I need them....?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 11, 6:19 pm, "William Graham" wrote:
I wrote to National Geographic asking them whether they would consider
hiring good quality wildlife photographers, and this is the response I
received....----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:49 PM

Dear Mr. Graham: Thank you for your email to the National Geographic
Society.

Photography jobs on staff are very rare. National Geographic does use
freelance photographers, but to be frank, it is extremely difficult to
obtain a first assignment for the magazine. The magazine does not accept
any unsolicited submissions. The editors meet regularly to discuss
possible story ideas. If an idea is decided upon, the article is then
assigned, usually to someone with whom we've worked before or to someone
with many years of outstanding work in the field of journalism. Because
there is a large investment behind each National Geographic article, we
are conservative in choosing writers and photographers, opting for those
with well-established reputations. At this time we have many more
freelance photographers than we do assignments.

If this all sounds negative, we apologize. It is, however, a response
dictated by a rather precise goal for the style of the magazine, coupled
with the limited number of stories we are able to publish each year.

I am sorry that we could not offer more encouraging news regarding your
friend, but we appreciate your thinking of us.
Sincerely,
CL Stroud
Communications
National Geographic Society

Bill, your letter to NG is highly commendable. I salute you sir! I
am certain I know who you are talking about and I couldn't agree
more. In my opinion it's their loss.
Helen