Old September 8th 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 21:32:31 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 9/7/2012 7:30 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:35:51 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| But with "features"
| like the PS ability to "predictively fill-in" background after
| an item is removed from a photo (like filling in trees when
| a barn is removed from a landscape), while an interesting
| feature that might sometimes be useful, especially for
| commercial work in a hurry, I wouldn't count that in judging
| a program as an overall graphic editor.
|
| why not? it's part of the package and can easily make you more
| productive.

Maybe so. But I'm not likely to need such a function.
And I'm as wary of "feature creep" as I am of inadequate
software. So I'm wondering about the basic functionality
(post-raw).

just because they add features you might not use does not mean the ones
you do use are neglected.

What do you mean that the old way of adjusting brightness
was linear? I was under the impression that it's mainly a
formula applied to up the numeric color values of each
pixel.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/brightness-contrast-photoshop-cs3.html
Increasing Brightness with any version of Photoshop prior to CS3
simply adds whatever you set the control at to every pixel in the
image, shifting everything towards the right in the histogram.
Rather than operating equally, in a linear fashion, on all pixels in
an image, the new Brightness/Contrast algorithm operates
proportionally, much as Levels and Curves do. Pixels more in need of
adjustment receive more of the effects of any change you make.

I don't know Photo Shop but Paint Shop Pro, Photo Paint and Nikon
Capture NX2 all enable the same functionality through histogram
adjustments. I would expect Photo Shop to incorporate the same
functionality.

IIRC You can download a trial.

There is no point. I am not going to pay their exhorbitant price.

Eric Stevens