Old September 9th 04, 01:25 PM
Ron Hunter

Rick S. wrote:

I see I can get a 1 Gb compactflash card for 20 or 30 bucks more than
a 512 Mb card.... seems a no brainer to me, I'd like to get a coupla 1
G's rather than 4 512's, (I'm going on a long trip and will not have
any downloading capability).
Is there any reason I should avoid such a big capacity card?
Is it the same technology in both?
Any body have any failures on gigabyte cards?
I'm going to stick with established namebrands, either sandisk or
lexar, and my camera can handle the size.
thanks ahead of time for any input,
Rick

Theoretically, you are more likely to suffer a single failure if you
have 4 cards than if you have one card. However, in practical use,
there is very little chance of a problem with any one card. The reason
many people choose to use smaller cards is that if one of them dies, or
just gets lost or damaged, then the potential for loss is less. I would
rate the chance of loss as the highest probablity, with damage second,
and an actual card failure as least likely.
You pays your money, and you takes your chances...