Old May 13th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default What level of zoom is recommended

On 2006-05-13, snow wrote:
I am close to buying a new digital camera.
I have been researching quite a bit on various models, but I am undecided
whether to go with a 4x optical zoom, or
spend more and go with a 10-12x optical zoom. Is the upgrade in zoom worth
the extra $$, any tradeoffs to going higher zoom besides price? Any
information appreciated.

The greater the zoom range, the more difficult it will be to hold the
camera steady at the 'longest' setting ('zoomed right in'). It's also
likely that the lens will let through less light at the longest settings,
which makes the problem of 'camera shake' even worse. Some sort of 'image
stabilisation' will be required unless you are prepared to use a solid
tripod.

Image quality is likely to be sacrificed in order to achieve an extreme
zoom range; whether that is enough to matter to you, only you can know.

If there are particular models you have in mind, see if they have been
reviewed by magazines or on-line web sites - for example,
http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.steves-digicams.com/.

If you are serious about using very long focal lengths ('zooming in' from a
great distance), consider using a camera that allows you to swap lenses.
The results are likely to be worth the extra cost and trouble.

--
-- Whiskers