Old August 20th 04, 12:34 PM
Pål Jensen

"Steven M. Scharf" skrev i melding
news:ZdeVc.28366

I’m very glad I chose Canon, just because of how far Canon has leapt
ahead of Nikon. At the time I mainly chose Canon because Nikon lacked a
28-105 lens! I think that everyone has been surprised at how quickly
Canon has gone so far ahead of Nikon, both in film and digital bodies,
and lenses.

Canon hasn't leaped ahead of Nikon. They have always been ahead of Nikon.
The reason Nikon is loosing marketshare is the change from conservative
products to innovative cameras for pro use. When I stared shooting in the
mid 70's Nikon bodies where 5-10 years behind ALL the competition being late
in introducing any feature. This was how pros wanted it in those days. In
1979 Nikons pro offering was based on early 60's technology.
With the acceptance of electronics and power dependence a company more into
electronic wizzardry (Canon) was in a much better position than the most
conservative slr manufacturer of them all (Nikon). In fact, Nikon has spend
the last 20+ years in reinventing themselves and are no closer to Canon than
ever. In this respect Nikon has been hugely sucessful. If it wasn't for
Nikon pro base (due to a historical "accident") Nikon would have shared fate
with Topcon and Miranda.