Old January 31st 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba
Fred Lotte

Default camera for diving ?

In article

m,
Antonio Huerta wrote:

I am planning on snorkelling. As such, I am
looking at the depth of diving of up to 3 m, and a range of camera of
1-5 m (greater if possible).

You may be able to rent a camera to see if you really want to get
into underwater photography.

When I was first certified for SCUBA, I rented an Instamatic
(equivalent to a P&S) from my instructor. My buddy and I used it
on a vacation in the Florida Keys where we learned that flash
bulbs float really good, don't go off about 2/3's of the time and
have to be about 3 feet from the camera in order to not
illuminate all the stuff floating in the water.

For the next vacation, I bought an Ikelite housing for my F2 and
strobe which I used for about 20 years taking many hundreds of
shots underwater at depths up to 140 ft.

--
Fred Lotte