Old September 25th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lancroft B.

Default Factor Effecting High ISO Pictures - Camera or Lens

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote:

Ornithopter wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, "Bright Spark" said something silly:

"Manzoorul Hassan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am currently using a Nikon D50 with a 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF Nikkor
Lens. One of my complains about this combination is the high ISO
(1600) pictures - they're too grainy.

If I had enough $$$ I would replace both, but since I have only
limited resource - I am trying to figure out which would give me more
bang-for-buck.

I'm looking at the 24-70mm AF-S Nikkor and also the D300 as
prospective candidates. Each run about $1,700-$1,800.
Unfortunately your pictures will still be too grainy at ISO 1600 regardless
of what lens is on your camera. It is the camera that determines how noisy
the image is.

Huh .... interesting ...

A $1,300 DSLR body plus $1,800 lens = $3,100

And it doesn't even match the phenomenal range of the new Superzoom P&S cameras
for under $400. The 800 ISO being quite usable in most of them with a little PP
noise reduction. So you get 1-stop more ISO on a DSLR for $2,700 extra, that's
unusable. Minus, of course, the ~28 to ~500mm (35mm eq.) focal length ranges
with just one lens that's already included on the P&S, permanently affixed to
keep dust off your sensor.

Huh ....

How about that.

This is the common and totally incorrect post from the
P&S troll that we see often. Ignore it.

It is basic physics. Given two cameras with equal megapixels,
one with a large sensor, the large sensor has larger pixels
and collects more light, even with the same f/ratio lens.
Basically, the performance scales linearly with pixel
width (light collection increases with the area of the pixel,
but the signal to noise ratio increases with the square root
of the area).
(Note I'm not making any distinction on P&S versus any other
camera.)

So, for low light performance choose the camera that has the
largest pixels. See:

[SPAM ADDRESS DELETED]

But of course, let's ALL run off to the resident spammer's web site to read all
his invented theories and his newly invented "well-known myths", in the hopes
that someone will buy his crap tourist-quality photography.

LOL

You idiot, the person you are replying to never claimed a smaller sensor made of
the same materials and the same design and manufacturing process would have less
noise per equivalent number of pixels. Though the newer small sensors do indeed
surpass earlier larger sensors in noise levels. You can't make blanket claims
like you continually enjoy doing without taking into account advancements in
materials, design, and manufacturing methods. But then you just love sticking
your stupid head in the sand (or is that your ass? it's so hard to tell with so
much sand up there) and trying to cover up your tracks with misinformation.

The person you replied to claimed that the total capabilities of the P&S camera
far exceed the capabilities of any DSLR for less money. ONE extra f-stop in ISO
performance (minus the phenomenal zoom range in any of the UZ P&S cameras) for
an extra $2,700 does not a sale make. Anyone paying that much money for just
1-stop increase in performance with all the drawbacks of an interchangeable-lens
system has several screws loose.

Get with the program dude. Or at least learn to read what you are replying to --
before using it for another or your many excuses to post your lousy spam-site
URLs.