Old September 16th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Default HDR Newbie Questions

DigiCamUK wrote:
I've just discovered HDR !!

Looked but cannot find a definitive answer, what would be a recommended
range for bracketing, either auto, or manual, to achieve the best
results.

Shrug. Two stops is a good increment. The wider you go, the more
noise you can introduce.

BUT, it's best if you set the camera to aperture priority. Chaging
the aperture means different depth of field and that can screw up
the whole deal.

Both my digital cameras will only auto bracket maximum 1 stop, is a
greater difference recommended. If so, what ?

You can reset the exposure manually as well.

Also, 3 or 5 or more photo's, is there really a difference ?

Depending on the scene I'd use two or three covering a range of up
to 6-stops.

You valuable experience is welcomed.

The problem with really wide ranges is that you still have to figure
out how to compress them into a natural-looking final image. Sure,
you can cover 10-stops in your photos, but turning it into soemthing
that looks good involves brighting some ares, darkening others,
adjusting contrast, and the result can look unnatural.

I've been playing with PhotoMatix HDR software, I have Photoshop 7 on my
iMac, not CS2/3, not really understanding layers, is it possible to at
least simulate HDR using layers ?

Sure. Put different exposures in different layers and blend as
suitable.

--
Ray Fischer