Old March 15th 12, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

Default I'VE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE !

On 13/03/2012 4:50 AM, Bruce wrote:
Pete wrote:

A mediocre lens in the hands of a good photographer will always trounce
a superb lens in the hands of an average photographer. I would much
rather Bret concentrate on selling his excellent photography than make
comments about "lens trouncing", despite the endless amusement provided
by the latter.

Agree 100%. Bret's work is more than good enough to publish. We have
already seen enough high quality material from him for several books,
he just needs the encouragement to do it.

I think it takes more than "good photography" to successfully publish a
book of photographs. I have some vague recollections of a certain
European fellow who spent large sums of money going on a Polar
expedition. Trying to sell his photo books for some astronomical price
without much success.

A German pair I came across in an Australian movie studio zoo
photographing tame kangaroos with what looked like $30,000 worth of band
new Canon gear didn't do to well either.

The production problem is in the quality. All but the very best (and
expensive to make) Photo books made from photographs fall apart quite
easily. The cheaper ones made on laser printers don't last too long
either as the pages swell and distort with the changing seasons. Rodents
get a taste for the Chinese "bonded leather" too I believe.

The other problem is getting off your backside and finding worthwhile
subject matter. That's the real killer. I think that backpack full of
iced donuts and big macs Annika needs to carry everywhere wouldn't leave
enough room for any cameras, much less lenses, somehow.

Chloe