Old November 26th 11, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rdoc

Default Lens Cleaning

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
rdoc wrote:

I tried using my regular lens cleaner with only marginal success.

What can I use on the glass that will not harm the multicoating? Alcohol?

Modern lens coatings are not likely to come off in alcohol.

I would suggest dipping q-tips in either alcohol or Windex
and work gently, changing q-tips frequently. There should
never be enough liquid at the front of the lens that there
is a risk of some seeping inside, you can alternate wet
and dry q-tips. The real risk is scratching the lens or
coating, a little bit of grit can do quite a bit of harm.

A single big scratch is actually nearly harmless, but lots
of tiny scratches will ruin the definition of a lens. People
sometimes do make lots of tiny scratches, so be sure to change
q-tips very frequently, especially at the start.

I was thinking about one thing and typed another originally... it is not on
a K1000... it is an 'A' lens on a Program Plus. As to my original concern...
how modern does multicoating have to be, to be modern enough to tolerate
alcohol or whatever? Shame there are no real camera shops anywhere around
these days.