Old March 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Less expensive DSLR's, Nikon or Canon

"Jack" wrote in message
I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon
is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

I don't know the Nikon. Nikon have an excellent rep.

I have an XT - it's excellent. If you buy an XT you won't be buying a pup.
The advantage of 8Mp over 6Mp lies in cropping - probably. I produced an A3
B&W yesterday from 65% of the pixels of myXT (5.2Mp) and it's technical
quality is rather good. I won't vouch for the artistic qualiity.

Canon make a very large range of lenses and their L lenses are very very
good. If you buy into Canon and buy good lenses you can upgrade the body in
a few years and take advantage od technical advances. I imagine the same is
true of Nikon lenses.

I don't think you will go wrong with either brand.

John