Old September 18th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

Default Surfing Novices

On 9/18/2017 11:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 9/18/2017 12:29 AM, Ron C wrote:
On 9/17/2017 11:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy
surf. While the surf was great, this is an imge of the ability of
most of the surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

IMHO way over cropped. From that shot I get the feeling
you've never been a surfer. (For me .. context is missing)

My personal style tends towards heavy cropping. See the NEF files I
posted in response to the Duck. And you are right, I have never been a
surfer, nor will I ever be one.
Since I plan to shoot a surfing competition in a few weeks, and would
like to give some shots to the organization, how much context should I
leave in? Since I am going to give them the shots, I would like to give
them what they want.

Yes, I have done such wipe-outs in my younger days.
[but no longer even try... ]

Lately I've been thinking about getting a good waterproof
camera and going out to get some serious in water shots.

...maybe next season.

I used to dive. I found an Ikelite housing worked well. I used it with
my Nikkormat for years. However, if you just want casual family shots,
You can get a P&S for a lot less money.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=waterproof+point+and+shoot+camer a&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177271484533&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw= g&hvrand=14427954963387958466&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqm t=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004545&h vtargid=kwd-4566510721&ref=pd_sl_2pg9uacdom_b

https://tinyurl.com/yco2vvya

Ikelite seems to make good stuff at a good price point. I've been
looking at the DLM200 Canon SL1 package or maybe their
new SL2 package. Turns out it would cost less to buy the full
kit w/camera than to buy a housing for any of my cameras.
~~
As for context, I would want to get a feeling of time. Some
indication of how the situation developed or is developing
gives a better feeling for the action and perhaps emotion.
I can still vividly recall the feeling of looking down the wave
during a wipe-out. Having been there I have some empathy
for the situation and would want to capture a bit of that feeling.
You have the choice of how he got there, where he's going, or
[in some cases] some unusual or spectacular static shot.
Dropping in to a wave or pulling out tend to be the most
dynamic. [IMHO] Resist the tight crop in favor of the story.
OK, I think that's enough of my babbling.
~~
Last I checked the surf looks big but choppy and
blown out today.
--
==
Later...