Old October 13th 05, 07:15 AM
MarkČ

DD (Rox) wrote:
In article Pmm3f.1415$UF4.617@fed1read02, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...
At this point, the 5D isn't for the masses. A quickie indicator of
this is its lack of built-in flash. This is for people who wouldn't
likely neither want/need nor be satisfied with the pop-gun sized
built-in flash. It is for serious photographers who want their wide
angle lenses to work...and who want the high res of 12.8MP without
sacrificing quality to noise. They have also indicated a plan to
keep both the 1.6 crop-factor sensor range, and the full frame sizes
in the future.

Well, here's something for you to chew on: on Friday last week I
popped into one of the local photographic shops and I was fiddling
around with the 5D, chatting to the manager. I asked him how much
interest he had in the camera and he said that he had taken about 10
orders for it, but amazingly all of them were from people who were
not regular photographers. They were mostly rich folks who had bought
the camera (with one of the crappy kit lenses) because it was the
newest thing and they had to had it.

There will always be people like that.
I've seen people hauling around Leicas for the same reason: They think they
look cool holding one. I'm sure that happens with all sorts of
things...cars...motorcycles...guns...and cameras. Meanwhile, those who
actually know how to use a camera are using them well, regardless of how
many dorks with money there might be--posing in their mirrors holding their
new toy.

The other side of the business coin you describe above is this:
Canon makes most of their money from the sale of lenses.

I disagree. Most of their money comes from selling office equipment
and supplies. On the imaging side the bulk of the revenue that funds
their operation is made from P&S digital cameras.

Since this is a discussion about photography equipment, I thought it would
go without saying that I was referring to SLR photo equitpment $$ coming
from sale of lenses, as opposed to bodies.

-Though actually, I suspect that with the huge successes of digital bodies,
that may be swinging a bit.
I don't know.