Old October 13th 05, 07:06 AM
DD (Rox)

In article Pmm3f.1415$UF4.617@fed1read02, "Mark=B2" mjmorgan(lowest=20
even number says...
At this point, the 5D isn't for the masses. A quickie indicator of this =

is=20
its lack of built-in flash. This is for people who wouldn't likely neith=

er=20
want/need nor be satisfied with the pop-gun sized built-in flash. It is =

for=20
serious photographers who want their wide angle lenses to work...and who=

=20
want the high res of 12.8MP without sacrificing quality to noise. They h=

ave=20
also indicated a plan to keep both the 1.6 crop-factor sensor range, and =

the=20
full frame sizes in the future.

Well, here's something for you to chew on: on Friday last week I popped=20
into one of the local photographic shops and I was fiddling around with=20
the 5D, chatting to the manager. I asked him how much interest he had in=20
the camera and he said that he had taken about 10 orders for it, but=20
amazingly all of them were from people who were not regular=20
photographers. They were mostly rich folks who had bought the camera=20
(with one of the crappy kit lenses) because it was the newest thing and=20
they had to had it.

The other side of the business coin you describe above is this:
Canon makes most of their money from the sale of lenses.=20

I disagree. Most of their money comes from selling office equipment and=20
supplies. On the imaging side the bulk of the revenue that funds their=20
operation is made from P&S digital cameras.=20

--=20
DD (everything is temporary)
www.dallasdahms.com