Old October 12th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Sensor auto-cleaning, ultrasonic or bust

On Oct 12, 11:33*am, Savageduck

On 2010-10-11 14:40:56 -0700, RichA said:

Pentax is now using the kind of ultrasonic sensor cleaning that
Olympus pioneered in 2003. * The idea that cameras with sensors
unprotected and close to them mouth of the bayonet not having it is
insane. *I never, ever had any dust show up on my Olympus DSLRs and
have only had one incidence of it with the G1, but the D300 has to be
policed for it all the time. *That Sony doesn't have a good system

on
the NEX is mind-boggling.

That is quite a slight of the D300(s). What evidence and reports of
such prolific sensor dust problems do you have with the D300(s)? Other
than hearsay that is.

Do you actually have the "Dust removal" feature activated? If so, what
setting do you use?
Check your Setup menu & "Clean image sensor" options.

My schooling with sensor dust removal and wet cleaning came with the
D70, which is truly a dust magnet, and remains so. I remain awash in
Eclipse fluid, PEC pads and sensor swabs, none of which have been
needed with my D300s.
After dealing with the D70 I am truly thankful to have a functioning
dust removal system in the D300s. I have mine set to "Clean at startup
& Shutdown" and I have never had to wet clean either my D300 or D300s,
even after changing lenses in windy, dust filled conditions.
One time I detected a piece of fluff through the viewfinder. That was
in the chamber, on the mirror, and that was taken care of by one on Mr

.
Giotto's handy "Rockets".

My experience also. *The D300 and D700 have never given me problems
that the Giottos 'Rocket' cannot handle. *(Chinese man very clever to
call his brand "Giottos"!)

Yup! I have three of them. One kept in each of the two bags I have, and
one which keeps vanishing in and around the house.
I have reduced my emergency cleaning kit to one of the neat
Photographic Solutions kits.
http://www.photosol.com/dskit.htm
That is there for my peace of mind, not for any cleaning in the field,
but useful when having that "Damn dust!" moment when back in the
motel/hotel room after a day out tripping the shutter.

My Canon EOS 5D bodies were a different matter and needed constant
attention with PEC pads and brushes. *The 5D sensors seemed to have a
static charge which turned them into dust magnets. *I had them both
cleaned four times a year and that wasn't often enough. *Leaving one
lens (24-105mm f/4L IS) semi-permanently fitted didn't seem to help
either.

However, my worst ever DSLR for dust is the Kodak DCS Pro 14n. *If it
wasn't such a sheer delight to use in so many other ways (13.5 MP full
frame, incredible sharpness, outstanding colour rendition) *I would
get rid of it because cleaning its sensor is such a thankless task. *

do it myself because even my trusted technician seems unable to do as
good a job as I can. *:-(

Yup! There were times it seemed I could use the D70 as one of those
electronic ionizing air purifiers to remove dust and pollen from the
local environment.

You can actually build a better dust brush than the ones for sale.
Get a cheap smoke detector, remove the Americium-241 source from it
(alpha particle emitter) and attach it to a good sensor or lens
brush. The alpha particles ionize the air and cause the static charge
of the dust to be eliminated, allowing for easy removal of it. This
is something like the old Polonium brushes made by various companies
for vinyl records. Of course, brushing is what you'd do after using a
non-contacting blower like the Rocket.

Yup!
I still have a 30 year old one of those brushes buried in with some of
my audio stuff.
....and in my hand I have a still functioning Zerostat gun, also about
30+ years old. The grip is wrapped with 20+ year old masking tape!

Now I wonder how much that would help de-ionizing the D70 chamber???
Might be worth a try.

Savageduck