Old February 7th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.comp

Default Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

In rec.photo.digital KewlKiwi wrote:
Bill Funk wrote:

So far, I've seen nothing to actually convince me that the camera
charges its battery using power from the computer's USB system. What I
do see is a manual that mentions absolutely nothing about charging in
any way other than connecting the charger.
Now, while I suppose it's possible, I still don't see it.

Please see my post to Mark.

I guess the only way you two will be convinced is if you buy it
yourselves! Rather an expensive way to lose an argument though...

It would be nice if (either of you) can explain just why you are so
*sure* it is impossible for a camera to be charged from a computer's USB
port?
Other than the fact there's not much in the way of amps, just what is
the problem?

/mild sarcasm/
Is it perhaps a 'special' sort of electricity that comes out of a USB
host that makes it unusable for charging batteries?
/end sarcasm/

There is no reason why a camera battery can't be rechared via
a USB port.

However, that does not mean that it is possible for any given
camera. It is quite possible to have a working USB port and
not take a charge through it -- and there are any number of
reasons (cost, weight, etc.) why you might not want the camera
battery recharged that way.

Manuals ought to be more specific about this situation.

---- Paul J. Gans