Old January 27th 04, 10:40 PM
Frank Pittel

Default Will we always be able to buy film?

The reality of the world is that the film, chemistry, paper, etc
makers are for profit companies. As long as there is a profit to be
made there will be someone who'll make it. I do believe that the selection
will decrease as the market for it contract.

Phil Glaser wrote:
: Some of this may be old news to some of you, but I just found this
: story about Kodak reducing manufacturing capacity and laying of 15,000
: employees: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinv...dak-cuts_x.htm
: The story poses some interesting questioins about Kodak's future

: Meanwhile, NPR did a piece this weekend on the "digital revolution":
: http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1616953.

: The prologue to the NPR story on their website says that ". . .
: Eastman Kodak will stop selling photographic film . . ." This
: statement is obviously an exageration and misrepresentation of the
: trend in the market and at Kodak, but it does get me thinking about
: what it will be like over the next decade or two as digital eclipses
: film as the medium of choice for most amatures and for many areas of
: professional photography. The economics of it are such that, as
: digital equipment prices fall, film will become the more expensive
: option even at today's equipment and material prices. Digital probably
: already is the least expensive in a certain range of quality (I mean:
: if you can do with low resolution and don't need to do a lot of
: creative manipulation [requiring photoshop], digital is definitely
: already cheaper).

: So how will it be to procure film in the next 10-20 years? Can we
: imagine a day where Kodak sells little if any film? What about
: companies like Ilford and Agfa and Fuji? Sure, they will stay in
: business because the demand for film will probably always be
: sufficient to make it a niche market. But will reduction in demand
: lead to an increase in prices for film, so that, even with cheap
: darkroom equipment and film cameras around, film could become a lot
: more expensive than digital? Will there be fewer choices? Will film
: manufacturers continue to innovate? Or will it be the opposite: will
: film innovate even more to compete with digital?. . .

: --phil