Old February 21st 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default Naive question about memory cards.

On 2006-02-21, R. Frist wrote:
Having given my trusty Pentax 43WR to my son to take to Iraq I am in
the market for a new point and shoot camera and memory card. Some
advertisements imply that the higher speed cards inable one to take
better action shots. My question: do higher speed cards have any
advantage other than reducing the time it takes for the camera to
recover between shots?

Not as far as I've ever been able to discover. The biggest problem
digital cameras have with 'action' shots is 'shutter lag': the delay
between you squeezing the button and the camera actually taking the
picture. This has nothing to do with the sort of memory card installed
and is entirely down to the design of the camera; different models vary
widely and for action shots, short shutter lag is a feature you should be
looking for.

This site is useful for comparing different models
http://www.dpreview.com/.

--
-- Whiskers