Old March 15th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default Question about macro lenses

Not too long ago, I got my hands on my first *REAL* digital camera
(REAL means worth more than $39.95US) - a Canon Powershot G2.
Naturally, I went looking for goodies to go with it. I noticed that
sometimes macro adapter lenses are listed like '10x' and sometimes
they're listed like '+1', '+2', and '+4'

See the following ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What, if any, is the difference between, say, a '4x' lens and a '+4'
lens. And, while I'm on the subject, if the two different notations
mean the same thing, wouldn't a '+1' lens be the same as a '1x' lens
and, therefore, be a waste of space??

I'm so confused!!!!