Old September 16th 18, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Just a question

In article , Neil wrote:

Sandman:
And, when was the last time you met someone that preferred analog
film to digital?

Frequently

Professional photographers that make their living from taking photos? I don't
know, I just find that very hard to believe, unless you know this one
eccentric artsy guy and you meet him frequently

Sandman:
Not someone that occasionally shoots with analog film, someone
that prefers it? We may move in different kind of circles, but
it's been a great while since I saw a wedding photographer come to
the reception with a Nikon F4

Wedding photographers, news photographers, and photographers working
for ad agencies have specific job requirements that make automation
a big plus.

These people are the professional photographers you talked about though. And
they make out the vast majority of professional photographers...

It doesn't negate the value of the skills in question.

For them it does, mostly.

Neil:
Again, you're referring to scenes where generic lighting is all
that is needed, and I'm referring to making decisions about the
subtleties of a difficult scene.

Sandman:
Which means you are referring to skills that:

1. Very fe people have
2. Very very few instances require

Rendering the applicability and availability of the skill a very
very small margin in the grand scheme of things.

It *still* doesn't negate the value of having those skills.

Isn't the value of a skill in direct relation to how much you get to apply
it? Why value a skill you never get to use?

--
Sandman