Old November 25th 03, 10:11 AM
OogieBoogie

Default Enlarger for B/W darkroom

Thanks Ted! Yeah, i've been going through the stuffs at ebay and for a
beginner, its a bit overwhelming since i'm not too sure what exactly i
should be looking for.

I'm in Singapore and i've been looking around for a bit. But information on
enlargers are rather scarce as mostly professionals deal with them.

I took a darkroom class recently n the thrill of developing n printing your
own photos is amazing! I am aware of the costs (which is alot!) involved in
setting up a darkroom so i'm still threading rather carefully on this path!

I would consider Midwest Photo once i've exhausted all the resources here
because shipping costs from the US internationally could cost an arm and a
leg!

But thanks once again!

Sara Aman.

"Ted Harris" wrote in message
Sara,

The so called entry level enlargers are usually not worth the scrap price

for
the metal they are made out of. One of the solid standards for years has

been
the Omega D2. Slightly smaller Omega B6 units are also solid.

As important as the enlarger is the lens and you will do well to stick

with el
nikkors, componons (not componors) and rodagons.

Finally, while eBay is a treasure trove of bargains IF you know what you

are
shopping for it may not be the best place for a newcomer to shop for a

used
enlarger (will you be able to check alignment, for the proper condensor,

etc.).
I suggest a call to Midwest Photo (web www.mpex.com) they are one of the

best
and most reasonably priced sellers of used quality equipment in the US.

Ask
for Dan who handles darkroom stuff ... tell him what you want ... they

offer
full returns and you will likely pay no more than eBay. My only

connection
with them is as a very satisfied customer.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire