Old October 13th 10, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The lens that no one covered during Photokina (Tokina 17-35mm f/4 FX)

On 2010-10-13 00:29:06 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

[]
My only issue with Tokina is the time they take to get the lenses to
the vendors. There were shortages of the 11-16mm for months. None of
the vendors are even listing release dates for the FF lenses. So we
shall have to wait and see if they have anything on the shelves by the
time I would be able to find a good refurbished D700 next year.

...and then there will be the review circus.

Savageduck

My issue with Tokina is the lack of focus motor to support the non-pro
Nikon DSLRs. Instead of the 11-16mm Tokina, I ended up getting the
Tamron 10-24mm, and the image quality is good enough for me. It's
light and compact, and has that extra zoom range over the Tokina. I
did have the Tokina on the camera, and it's a nice lens, and bright as
well.

Cheers,
David

It seems Tokina is getting around to solving that problem. The new AF
12-24mm f/4 PRO DX II & AT-X 16-28 f/2.8 PRO FX have an AF motor
specifically to deal with neutered Nikons such as the D60 & D40. They
are also updating, and allegedly improving coatings.

So I think they have been listening, and some of what they are bringing
to the table addresses your issue. I also believe they know their
lenses need to be considered as a reasonable alternative choice for
upgrade with entry level & consumer level DSLR's, and they will lose a
big piece of the market if they do not make the changes.
They already lost a sale to you. You will see DX II updated versions of
some of their other APC lenses over the next 18 months.

They are going to provide some good & interesting competition for the
3rd party lens providers.
....and perhaps Nikon & Canon. If they can get the damn lenses to the vendors.

Savageduck