Old July 30th 04, 04:22 PM
Mike Powers

Default Kodachrome and Minolta Elite 5400 scan

Kodachrome has more Red, Ektachrome favors blue

Bob Williams wrote:

GD wrote:

I'am encountering problems scanning Kodachrome slides with an Elite
5400 scan.
The pictures are rather dark and sometimes the colors saturated
In fact, the scan is of poor quality vs what I can see on the slide
I'm very surprised as I had no problem with negative films where I had
only to use automatic correction in Photoshop; With the slides I have
to change the gamma to high levels and I am never really satisfied
with the result ...

Who had encountered this kind of problem? Thank you for help!

There is something weird about Kodachrome.
Unless the scanner has a special setting for Kodachrome, you usually get
off colors. I don't know why, because to the eyes it looks just like
Ektachrome. There must be some kind of UV filter coating that affects
the transmission of certain visible wavelengths. I tried to make digital
copies of Kodachrome slides with a Nikon 4300 and a slide copier.
They came out way too orange. Ektachrome was fine.....Go figure.
I was able to fix the Kodachrome images in Photoshop but it took a lot
of fiddling around.
Maybe someone else knows the precise explanation for the Kodachrome
Anomaly.