Old December 17th 03, 02:13 PM
Frank Pittel

Default MF resolution question

There's a reason why 35mm is known as a "miniature" film. :-) I once ran a
test by which I set up a tripod and composed an image and using the same type
of film I made a photo with a 35mm, 645, and 4x5 camera. I used a "normal"
focal length lens for each camera. I then printed the resulting image on at
11x14. Making the best print I could from each negative. When I show the prints
to people everyone of them can plainly tell the difference in quality.

?owser wrote:
: There's no need to waste time trying to analyze this mathematically. I've
: seen prints using the same film from both formats printed the same size, and
: MF wins every time, hands-down. Math be damned, there's no substitute for
: viewing prints.

: Besides, there a huge flaw in the math. You make the leap from analog to
: digital with no consideration for whether or not there actually can be
: equivilances. Also, some films print nicely but don't scan well, so where's
: the equivilancy?

: "Faisal Bhua" wrote in message
: om...
: Hello,
:
: I have a question for the folks using medium format. My question is,
: does 35mm give identical result to MF up to 8R (8x10) prints? The math
: seems to point that way - here's how:
:
: 35mm frame size = 24x36 mm sq = 1.339203 sq inch
: Given, a 300 dpi print is considered to be a "museum quality" print.
: 8x10 print = 8x10x(300)^2 = 7,200,000
: Therefore, scan dpi for 35 mm film = sqrt (7,200,000 / 1.339203) =
: 2319 dpi
:
: Now, 35mm film is supposed to have a theoretical resolution of 4000
: dpi. That may be a matter of opinion, but it's certainly more then
: 2319 dpi.
:
: So is there any justification for using MF if 8R is the maximum size
: you print? I've read MF guys claiming that old Yashica TLRs
: outperforming Nikon SLRs, so I'd like to see some hard evidence behind
: this. Feel free to point out any errors I've made - I'm new at this
: :-) Also, is film grain a factor?
:
: About me: beginner, shooting b&w in Minolta X-700, I make my own
: prints. Eying MF (esp. TLRs) gear recently.