Old August 31st 04, 03:41 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"Bert" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I've just discovered your newsgroup, so here goes!

I want to move up from 35mm / digital because for me quality of final image
is important.

What kind of photography is important to you? That's really the
question. You can get really high quality images with 4 x 5. but
spontaneity is out of the question. There are no motorized 4 x 5
cameras (except large roll aerial cameras).

I'm unsure wether to go to 6x6 or right into 5x4 (shooting
mainly ladscapes).

You may tire of landscapes before you know it. It's overdone, anyway.
And often poorly.

I've seen the quality you can get from 5x4 (fantastic),
but I have some concerns and questions. If anyone can advise or maybe there
is a 'beginners website', a link of two would be appreciated. I'd add that I
like to take my time over taking a photograph, so setting up and time isn't
a problem.

Here are some of my questions:

Cost is not an issue, and I appreciate finest engineering / optical quality,
so recommendations for suitable cameras please (Ebony? Hasselblad - is the
SWC worth considering?)

How much 'better' is 5x4" over top quality 6x6cm (typically I'd want
enlargements to A2/A1)

What's the best lens available (wide-angle)?

I've been told you need to take the lenses apart to mount on the board, is
this difficult or can it be done by the dealer?

Is the fuji quickload system worth considering?

How do you develop the film (!) - how easy/difficult is it compared to
processing 35mm?

On a picture by picture basis, how much does it cost on average to process
and print the relative formats?

I have a hundred more questions!

Any help or comments appreciated.

Regards