Old August 29th 04, 08:00 PM
Largformat

Here are some resources

www.viewcamera.com

There are several articles that will be helpful in the Free Articles section

Books

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that I wrote

Steve Simmons

Subject: Absolute beginner needs advivce
From: "Bert"
Date: 8/29/2004 12:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time
Hi,

I've just discovered your newsgroup, so here goes!

I want to move up from 35mm / digital because for me quality of final image
is important. I'm unsure wether to go to 6x6 or right into 5x4 (shooting
mainly ladscapes). I've seen the quality you can get from 5x4 (fantastic),
but I have some concerns and questions. If anyone can advise or maybe there
is a 'beginners website', a link of two would be appreciated. I'd add that I
like to take my time over taking a photograph, so setting up and time isn't
a problem.

Here are some of my questions:

Cost is not an issue, and I appreciate finest engineering / optical quality,
so recommendations for suitable cameras please (Ebony? Hasselblad - is the
SWC worth considering?)

"How much 'better' is 5x4" over top quality 6x6cm (typically I'd want
enlargements to A2/A1)"

?????

"What's the best lens available (wide-angle)? "

What focal length??

"I've been told you need to take the lenses apart to mount on the board, is
this difficult or can it be done by the dealer?"

It is easy, just unscrew the rear element and the retaining ring. There are
photos in some of the resources I listed above

Is the fuji quickload system worth considering? This is color only. I would
suggest getting a new Polaroid holder and you can then use Fuji and Kodak
pre-loaded films as well as Polaroid films

"How do you develop the film (!) - how easy/difficult is it compared to
processing 35mm?"

Color, send it to a pro lab. Black and white is easy in a home darkroom. There
is an artifcle on tray processing on the view camera web site

"On a picture by picture basis, how much does it cost on average to process
and print the relative formats?"

More but you wiull use less film

I have a hundred more questions!

Any help or comments appreciated.