Old August 3rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Kelvin Scale - Digital Photography

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:31:58 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:11:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
: : I have read that increasing the "warmth" of the Kelvin setting
: : improves sunrises/sunsets. My camera does not use the Kelvin scale and
: : I have been experimenting using the three fluorescent settings on my
: : Fuji S5200, which adds a little yellow, red, or both to a picture.
: : --Does anyone know how these settings relate to Kelvin numbers?
: : --Also, can anyone explain what the three types of fluorescent are?
: : Presumably, one is the old-fashioned very cold light and one the
: : newer, more-natural light, but which is which?
:
: If you think you need to "improve" a sunset, the most straightforward way to
: do it is to turn up the color intensity setting a bit. A sunset is usually red
: enough (i.e., the color temperature is low enough) already. What you're trying
: to do is make the colors stand out more, not change their wavelength.
:
: Or set the white balance to daylight. In auto, the camera may try to
: remove the color cast attempting to make it look 'normal'.

A good point. I didn't think to mention it because I always shoot RAW with
auto-WB. If the camera happens to get the WB right, fine; if not, I fix it
with DPP.

Bob