Old May 23rd 18, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Rear Window 500/8 Mirror

On 2018-05-23 10:21:56 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

[attributions]

Technically it is stealing.

Which it is seen as.
[...]

No it's not. Downloading third party material and then uploading it is
stealing. With hotlinking the picture remains on your chosen server and
thus under your control and not stolen. Feel free to change those
laws... Again:

https://photocopyrightlaw.com/can-embedding-hotlinking-or-inline-linking-constitute-copyright-infringement/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline...s_that_inline_

An interesting legal perspective, although I'd make a counterpoint
that it really should depend on just how the hotlinking was done.
IMO, its one thing if the hotlinked image had been dutifully attributed
to its copyright owner, but if it was misrepresented as belonging
to the one who did the hotlink, that's entirely a different story.

When I've happened to have found hotlinks that fall more into the
category of the latter, a strategy that I've taken at times is to
change the image out from underneath them, so that they're linked
to something different than they intended. Here's an example:

http://huntzinger.com/photo/2002/germany/euros.jpg

FWIW, some people have reportedly chosen alternative images which
are vastly less ... civilized.

-hh