Old April 6th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Sherman

Default Pentax K20D or Canon 40D or Canon XSI

wrote:
I primarily shoot 35mm, medium format and large format. New baby
coming next month so its time for a dSLR.

I'm considering the Pentax K20D, Canon 40D, or upcoming Canon XSI.

Mom has an old Canon EOS film camera she no longer uses. She would
give me the 28-105mm USM lens and the cheaper 75-300mm lens she has.

Pentax K20D advantages

+ More detail and usable megapixels (15 megapixels vs. 10 and
initial test results show that these extra megapixels are quite good)
+ In-body IS works with older, used Pentax lenses (like a 50mm I
would buy)
+ Extensive weather-sealing
+ 18-55mm II kit lens is better than most other kit lens. I would
probably at a 50mm prime.

Canon 40D advantages

+ Free 28-105mm USM lens. Doubt I would ever use the 75-300. What
other lens would I add??
+ Better/faster low-light AF
+ Better FPS (not important to me)
+ Broader selection of lenses (probably not be important to me)
+ Proven, well-tested and reviewed camera

Canon XSI advantages

+ $300-350 cheaper
+ Lots of bang for the buck
- disadvantages: "plasticky" body? pentamirror vs. pentaprism?
would order site unseen/unreviewed?

Looking for thoughts/opinions to help my decision.

Go to the store and hold them in your hand... See how the menu
system works. Feel the camera "in your hand".. is it to big or small..

They all have more features and functions than you can ever use.
See how the menu system works and looks - do you like it.

Steve