Old July 22nd 04, 11:01 PM
Alparslan

Default Nikon VR 28-70 28 AFS Lens

"Alparslan" wrote in message
Are we going to see this lens any time soon? I think it is reasonable to
expect Nikon will come out with such a lens? Any rumors? Regards.

It would be a nice lens to have because:

1) Better optics than 24-120 or any other zoom that streches a lot (in terms
of zoom range and the laws of physics)

2) The range might not be interesting for the digital but this lens will not
be an alternative to other zooms in different focal lenghts that are more
suitable for the smaller sensors of digital cameras. Different needs,
different lenses. (Furthermore, Nikon might go for full frame sensors in the
coming months/years)

3) The range covers from wide angle to moderate telephoto making it an ideal
all-around lens.

4) One can have greater range of f-stops enabling him/her to have a greater
degree of control over depth of field; consequently, it allows more shutter
speeds to choose from.

5) This lens is heavy. In dim conditions f:2,8 helps a lot but due to weight
of this lens, some hand shake is inevident especially after having hold the
camera/lens combination for a while. In this case, The VR feature will help
a lot.

6) Having f:2,8 helps freeze subjects if we want. (see no.4)

7) Following the tradition of 2,8 zooms, one can expect that this lens will
be sturdier than non 2,8 zoom lenses.