Old April 22nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Stefan Patric

Default Suitable tripod for Pentax 6x7

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:24:15 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Thanks very much for the thoughts. I did a bit more research and
discovered that the Manfrotto 168 head is the older version of the
488RC0, which has a load capacity of 8 kg, so it should be okay with a
Pentax 6x7. I even found a post at the Photo.net forum by someone
commenting that the 168 head was okay for use with a Mamiya RZ67. Even
if I divide 8 kg by 2, it should comfortably cope with the Pentax.

The 055 is about "right" I would say. The 190 (you mentioned earlier)
is a bit on the light side. I have the 055MF3 (carbon fibre legs) as
well as a 190. I use a geared head, but a medium ball should do as well.

And another recommendation: To reduce camera shake during a tripod
mounted exposure and make for sharper photos, lockup the mirror, if you
can, before tripping the shutter. The torque induced by the mirror
flipping up can really shake a medium format SLR camera a lot. However,
it's only really a problem with slow shutters speeds like less the 1/30 or
so. It also depends on how long a lens you have mounted: longer lenses
amplify the movement.

Stef