Old May 12th 17, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you know what processes occur if/when one uses 'First Aid' (Disk
Utility)?

it's a wrapper on fsck.

I had no clue what you meant ...... but I then looked he-

http://www.bing.com/search?q=fsck&form=MOZESB&pc=MOZT

you asked what processes occur. that's what processes occur. just one.

Can it REALLY fix things which are wrong?

depends what's wrong.

I was wondering if it could cure OS X if one is attacked by malware.

nothing can 'cure malware'. if you've been pwned, the solution is wipe
and reinstall from a backup prior to the malware.

malware won't be an issue if you don't do anything stupid. the weakness
is not macos (or windows for that matter), but the rather person using
it.

if someone is tricked into opening an attachment or clicking a link or
running an app from an unknown source, game over, no matter what system
they're using.

if someone gives out their credit card number to some random caller who
is pretending to offer some service, game over.

people are stupid and fall for scams all the time. even people who
should know better fall for them. scams are nothing new.

although apple improved fsck a *lot* over what existed before (it had
to, because fsck was mostly crap), fsck is nowhere near as good as
diskwarrior, which is amazing in how well it can fix file system
corruption.

I bought a copy of Diskwarrior from Ebay some years ago. Sadly, it
doesn't work on my iMac/version of OS X.

that must have been a really, really long time ago.