Old December 1st 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Feinman

Default Help scanning negatives, please!

In article . com,
says...
I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Read scantips.com to help you get started.
You can also see if any of the tips on my web site will help.
If you scan at 3200 dpi and print at 300 dpi you will get about
a 10x enlargement which is what you need for 8x10. You will also
need to do a bit of sharpening after the scan.
The Epson software has some problems, making scans too contrasty
so you might try the shareware software Vuescan available
from hamrick.com

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com