Old July 28th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default [SI] Pairs comments - Alan B.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:37:48 -0400, PeterN
wrote:
: On 7/27/2012 12:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: On 2012-07-27 08:08:05 -0700, PeterN said:
:
: On 7/27/2012 10:26 AM, tony cooper wrote:
: On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:19:13 -0400, PeterN
: wrote:
:
: On 7/25/2012 6:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:
:
: .
: snip
:
: What's new? We have regular commentators who chose not to contribute
: this time, other than responding to others comments on their work, and
: we had commentators who comment selectively on images they deem as
: worthy of their attention. Personally I believe that all images
: submitted are worthy of some comment, good bad, or indifferent.
:
:
: True, but how meaningful is a comment such as: "I agree with _______ ."
: And the commentator has nothing to add.
:
: I think that it is meaningful. It says that _____ is not the only one
: who sees it that way. If X says the image is OOF, Y offers no more by
: saying the image is OOF than he does by saying he agrees with X.
:
: Just that statement, though, is not really enough. Adding something
: would be good.
:
:
: Yes. But, if IMO the commentator has said all that is necessary, what
: can I add.
:
: There is always a different take on things.
:
: Take the following:
: My comment;
: "Tim Conway:
: Pairs-01:
: The Conway socks. A nice pair and good idea for employing the shadow
: created pattern. However there remains a major OOF issue which cannot be
: ignored. So great potential spoilt by bad focus."
:
: Alan Browne's comment:
: "Tim Conway http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144705061
: I like the shadow laying diagonally across the socks. But overall it's a
: bit of a soft and dull image. Too deliberately contrived."
:
: Similar thoughts behind the comments, but with a decidedly different
: take regarding phrasing, and possible reception by Tim, or others who
: might read both. Now you might agree with one, or other, or both of
: those, but you might have seen something slightly different.
: Alan was able to make his unique and similar comment for this image
: without resorting to the worthless, "I agree with ___."
:
: In the case of one of your images you would have found this difference.
: My comment favorable because I liked the shot, but empty of technical
: critique, Alan's more detailed.
:
: My comment:
: "Peter Newman:
: Pairs-01:
: Fishing net reflected on wet beach. Nice."
:
: Alan Browne's comment:
: "Peter Newman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144738873
: A very strong composition and of course speaks to my fetish for narrow
: colour palettes that are well set off in the areas of light, shadow,
: silhouette and reflection. Interesting symmetries as well. The most
: poetic of the SI this turn and a case where cropping was used very well.
: Technically seems a bit off - lots of JPG artifacts suggesting this was
: a deep crop, then resized down to minimize softness or camera shake."
:
:
: I understand what you are saying, anmd see your point, but, Had Alan
: made his comment prior to yours, and assuming you agreed with him, Your
: comment: "Fishing net reflected on wet beach. Nice." while making me fee
: good, woulld not help me to improve the image.

Only if you weren't paying attention. The Duck told you that he saw your
picture as a well executed piece of art with no deeper or hidden meaning
(e.g., as an allegory for your take on the human condition) and little or
nothing to teach the viewer, other than that a fishnet on a beach rendered
that way looks good. And that's independent of whether Alan spoke first, last,
or not at all. Whether that take on your picture is correct or not, only you
can judge. But at least he's telling you how another person saw it.

: Also, there are times when I am motivated to comment, and times when I
: am not. I feel that I have an ob;ligation to try to make a constructive
: comment, simply because that is the purpose of the group. If I can I
: comment on most. There are some images that I feel I cannot comment on
: in a constructive manner. Others As I've said earlier, I feel I have
: nothing to add. I would rather say something in a reasonable time, then
: hold all my comments back until I have something to add to all.

This thread is degenerating into a murky, inconclusive analysis of analysis -
the sort of thing you might get in a prolonged debate between an Orthodox
rabbi and a Jesuit. I think we should simply acknowledge that comments are
good (at least they demonstrate interest), well thought-out comments are
better, and deep, penetrating insight is as valuable as it is rare. Then go
ahead and take the comments we receive for what they seem to be worth,
remembering always that pride and defensiveness are often a creative person's
worst enemies.

Bob