Old July 27th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Pairs comments - Alan B.

On 2012-07-27 08:08:05 -0700, PeterN said:

On 7/27/2012 10:26 AM, tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:19:13 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/25/2012 6:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:

.
snip

What's new? We have regular commentators who chose not to contribute
this time, other than responding to others comments on their work, and
we had commentators who comment selectively on images they deem as
worthy of their attention. Personally I believe that all images
submitted are worthy of some comment, good bad, or indifferent.

True, but how meaningful is a comment such as: "I agree with _______ ."
And the commentator has nothing to add.

I think that it is meaningful. It says that _____ is not the only one
who sees it that way. If X says the image is OOF, Y offers no more by
saying the image is OOF than he does by saying he agrees with X.

Just that statement, though, is not really enough. Adding something
would be good.

Yes. But, if IMO the commentator has said all that is necessary, what
can I add.

There is always a different take on things.

Take the following:
My comment;
"Tim Conway:
Pairs-01:
The Conway socks. A nice pair and good idea for employing the shadow
created pattern. However there remains a major OOF issue which cannot
be ignored. So great potential spoilt by bad focus."

Alan Browne's comment:
"Tim Conway http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144705061
I like the shadow laying diagonally across the socks. But overall it's
a bit of a soft and dull image. Too deliberately contrived."

Similar thoughts behind the comments, but with a decidedly different
take regarding phrasing, and possible reception by Tim, or others who
might read both. Now you might agree with one, or other, or both of
those, but you might have seen something slightly different.
Alan was able to make his unique and similar comment for this image
without resorting to the worthless, "I agree with ___."

In the case of one of your images you would have found this difference.
My comment favorable because I liked the shot, but empty of technical
critique, Alan's more detailed.

My comment:
"Peter Newman:
Pairs-01:
Fishing net reflected on wet beach. Nice."

Alan Browne's comment:
"Peter Newman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144738873
A very strong composition and of course speaks to my fetish for narrow
colour palettes that are well set off in the areas of light, shadow,
silhouette and reflection. Interesting symmetries as well. The most
poetic of the SI this turn and a case where cropping was used very well.
Technically seems a bit off - lots of JPG artifacts suggesting this was
a deep crop, then resized down to minimize softness or camera shake."

Savageduck