Old July 27th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Pairs comments - Alan B.

On 2012-07-27 07:19:13 -0700, PeterN said:

On 7/25/2012 6:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:

.
snip

What's new? We have regular commentators who chose not to contribute
this time, other than responding to others comments on their work, and
we had commentators who comment selectively on images they deem as
worthy of their attention. Personally I believe that all images
submitted are worthy of some comment, good bad, or indifferent.

True, but how meaningful is a comment such as: "I agree with _______ ."
And the commentator has nothing to add.

That comment is meaningful in that it is an indication of the lack of
effort the individual is prepare to expend on comments.
For the Pairs SI there were several who seemed to have observed similar
elements, and were similarly effected positively and negatively with
regard to several images, but had different interpretations as to the
reasons. They seemed quite capable of expressing those slight
differences without resorting to the copout, "I agree with _____." That
is OK, but take the trouble to qualify the agreement.

You have no argument from me that to comment on all the images
submitted takes time and effort. I certainly try to keep some of my
comments brief, but do my best to comment extensively when I believe
that I might be able to let the shooter see his/her image in the way I
do, and think about it.

There are two major elements to a comment, addressing the physical
photographic qualities of the image, and the subjective interpretation
the viewer has of the image. That is why there are times I think, "What
a great image, but it has been spoilt by something which could have
been fixed at the time of capture, or in post processing with just a
little more effort."
I know that is the way I learn when I read constructive criticism of my
submissions from others. However, when when somebody says something
negative, without providing reasons for their thoughts, with, or
without a path to a fix, the comment is diminished in value. Now if
that vapid comment is followed from another commentator by, "I agree
with _____" and there is an added personal reason for the agreement
regarding interpretation, and/or adding a capture, editing/adjustment
suggestion, it becomes a useful constructive comment.

There have been times I have been busy with other stuff, or when I have
started composing my comments, and have not felt in anyway enthusiastic
about expending the effort to continue, or I believed that I had not
been able to put something useful together. The result being that I
might delay posting until later, or believe that would just skip the
commentary this time.

One thing I have found irritating in the past, has been when comments
are slow being posted and somebody remarks on the dearth of comments
without making an effort to fill the particular hole.

I certainly don't care if comments come from folks who have not
submitted, provided they have either interpretive or constructive
corrective substance. Sometimes I wonder what would be said if all the
usual commentators dropped out for a month or two.

So with "The Road" a few weeks away, I am pondering my level of
enthusiasm and/or inertia regarding making comments at all,
particularly when faced with the same lack of enthusiasm for the task
others have expressed.
Maybe, maybe not.

Savageduck