Old January 14th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.general,aus.aviation
Podge

Default Digital Photography On Aircraft Not Permitted on Take Off or Landing

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:08:46 +1300, "Podge" wrote:

"Mark B." wrote in message
m...

Guess you haven't taken any flights for a while. Airline security has
changed drastically over the last several years, including turning off
all
electronic deviced during takeoff & landings. Even something so
harmless
as a PDA, which I usually have with me to read e-books during a flight.
Most PDAs have wireless connections built-in now, but years ago when I
started using one there was no such thing - didn't matter, it still had
be off except while the aircraft was at cruising altitude.

Well then, how do professional photographers get their city aerial pics?
Do
they have to especially hire aircraft for this purpose?

Aerial photography isn't done from commercial flights. The security
involved in commercial flights has more to do with remote detonators
and communication with other parties than anything else.

A device used to remotely detonate an explosive device can be
camouflaged as a PDA or camera.

Aerial photography is done from small planes or helicopters. Whether
they are owned by the photographer or hired is immaterial.

I no longer have a pilot's license, but when I did there was never a
question about what devices I could bring to the plane or use in the
plane or when I could use them.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

I can see that great caution is needed in today's airline environment, but
wouldn't an explosive device and a device that is used to remotely detonate
it, be detected by the airlines' security scanning systems? After all, you
are allowed to use a digital camera and a laptop computer 10 minutes after
take off, so aren't airlines relying on these having been satisfactorily
scanned before going aboard the aircraft?

Podge