Old October 26th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 10/25/2013 8:59 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

most people wouldn't know where to start to add their own memory. not
everyone is a geek.

now you decide at the time of purchase instead of later, and apple's
prices aren't all that outrageous, assuming you compare the same type
of memory.

for instance, apple charges $100 more for 8 gig versus 4 gig on the 13"
macbook pro retina.

newegg has the same spec memory for $77. other sellers are a little
higher.

$20 to have it preinstalled and not need to deal with figuring out
which chip to get, along with having everything warranted by one
company so there isn't any question about what caused any problem that
might occur, is well worth it.

You don't have to be a geek to install memory. But you are probably
right in this case. IIRC Lenovo wanted $240 more for 16gig. I paid under
$100. I do admit, that I got a deal on it, as I found a place that was
going out of business. Otherwise it owuld have cost me $160, from
Crucial. Still a savings.

--
PeterN